Tuesday 4 February 2020

Dan's Dwarves; Getting Up To 800

Those of you who follow our Instagram know I have been working on my Dwarves for a few weeks now. I really love the Thror model so initially started with the blister of him and Thrain and a box of Grim Hammers. After building a few lists though, the army was feeling a bit one dimensional. Not necessarily bad by any means (that much F4 and D7 surely can't be bad) but just a bit... boring. I wanted a bit of variety so I decided to splash out and get a small contingent of Iron Hills as allies. This would provide me with some mounted models (Dain and Goat Riders) and some longer range shooting (Crossbows). This gave me a fun looking list to use at 500 points:

Big man Thror, he's got to be in every list, just look how cool he is!
Thror
6 Guardians of the King

Dain on Pig
6 Iron Hills Warriors with Spear and Shield
3 Iron Hills Warriors with Crossbow
2 Goat Riders

500 Points, 19 Models, 6 Might

However it seemed to me that having almost 25% of an already small army be either objective grabbers or purely ranged models might leave me open to being overwhelmed in any actual fighting. So despite buying the Crossbows I am not going to use them at this points level, instead I will up the number of Guardians and Warriors (the Guardians have throwing axes anyway so that makes up for the lack of shooting a bit).

Bleat bleat - Goats are important objective grabbers for the Dwarves!
500 points take 2

Thror
8 Guardians of the King

Dain on Pig
7 Iron Hills Warriors with Spear and Shield
2 Goat Riders

500 Points, 19 Models, 6 Might

Same amount of models but it feels like I have a heftier battle line here. Maybe this isn't needed with the absolute power houses of Thror and Dain but still. I will be taking this to an event in a couple of weeks that is aimed at beginners (which I definitely still am!) so that'll help me see how the Dwarves work and what I need to keep in mind for increasing the army to 800 points.

Here's one I painted earlier
However, what's the fun in basing your decisions on actual data when you can just theorycraft instead!

So, when thinking about 800 points there are a few options. Bulk up my numbers with Captains and Warriors of Erebor, add more mobility with more Goat Riders, add more shooting, or keep it an elite force with more Guardians and Iron Hills Warriors. Let's see what we can put together:

List 1: Elite with Shooting

Thror
12 Guardians of the King

Dain on Pig
11 Iron Hills Warriors with Spear and Shield
1 Iron Hills Warrior with Banner, Shield and Spear
3 Iron Hills Warriors with Crossbow and Spear
2 Goat Riders

Iron Hills Ballista

800 Points, 36 Models, 6 Might

In this list I have kept everything fairly elite. The extra 300 points have been spent on a Ballista, 4 Guardians, 9 IH Warriors and a Banner. This seems like a decent investment as it gives me a pretty scary ranged threat while also bulking up my battle line. 36 models is decent for an elite force at 800 points but bear in mind 4 of those will be manning the Ballista and another 3 will be staying back and shooting their Crossbows (though they do have spears so could lend a hand if needed). However, with so much D7 and D8 in the list it will take a fair bit of thinning down, especially as the Ballista provides great cover against ranged attacks. It is also Might-light but the Master of Battle rule on Dain will help with this. I like this list overall, it feels quite well rounded.

Everyone loves the Ballista right? Oh no wait, the opposite.

List 2: Bulk up the numbers

Thror
16 Guardians of the King

Captain of Erebor with Shield
3 Warriors of Erebor with Spear and Shield

Dain on Pig
10 Iron Hills Warriors with Spear and Shield
1 Iron Hills Warrior with Banner and Shield
3 Iron Hills Warriors with Crossbows
2 Goat Riders

800 Points, 38 Models, 8 Might

36 models to 38 models doesn't really seem like "bulking up the numbers" but all of these guys are up in the thick of it, as opposed to the 29 actual fighters in the last list. The addition of a Captain adds some much needed extra Might to throw at Heroic Marches when needed. I have left in the Crossbows just as a means to try and snipe some horses from under heroes.

16 Guardians, ready for duty
List 3: REALLY Bulk up the numbers

Thror
18 Guardians of the King

Captain of Erebor with Shield
8 Warriors of Erebor with Spear and Shield
2 Warriors of Erebor with Shields
1 Warrior of Erebor with Banner and Shield

Iron Hills Captain on Goat
10 Iron Hills Warriors with Spear and Shield
3 Goat Riders

800 Points, 45 Models, 7 Might

45 Models who are all D7 or higher is a bit ludicrous. Sadly, to get the numbers up this high you have sacrifice Dain, which I really think takes a lot of the teeth out of the list. Quantity is a quality of its own but I think in this case this just isn't as good as the other two. I wonder what happens if we go the other way...

How can you leave out such a magnificent Pig?
List 4: Characters!

Thror
10 Guardians of the King

Young Thorin with the Oakenshield
11 Warriors of Erebor with Spear and Shield

Dain on Pig
9 Iron Hills Warriors with Spear and Shield
1 Iron Hills Warrior with Banner and Shield
2 Goat Riders

800 Points, 36 Models, 9 Might

Now this is interesting. I assumed putting Thorin in the list would cut numbers way down but actually it doesn't at all. However we are lacking in shooting here which I think is a shame. I can't stop looking at that Ballista...

So young, so innocent...

I think its going to come down to either List 1 or 4. The Ballista and Thorin both add the most to these lists at 800 points I think. Lists 2 and 3 just feel like they don't have enough teeth to be scary, they feel a bit grindy instead. I have got until March to figure out which I like best so hopefully the tournament in a couple of weeks will be informative. Until then, let me know which list you like best, or any other suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. Great write-up. I ran a very similar list to the Dain / Army of Thror / Ballista list you had, back before the points hike on the Ballista (and minus the IH banner, relying just on Thror's 6" banner effect. It was pretty good fun, and went toe-to-toe with an 80-model Goblin-Town horde which I thought spoke well for its resilience.

    Even with the points hike, I do think your instincts are right about the ballista. Even if it's not actually killing things (which it tends to do at least a couple of times), the very threat of it does two things that immensely help out dwarves: forces the enemy to come towards you at some point (because if they never do you'll blast them to death), and strongly encourages the enemy to spread out as they come towards you (which makes it easier for the dwarves to defeat them in detail). Add selective use of crossbows and goat riders to your Strength 4 infantry, and you have a pretty good chance of winning those engagements.

    ReplyDelete