Tuesday 14 July 2020

Conversion Corner: Corsair Reavers

Today Will is going to show you how to do some simple but effective conversions for Corsair Reavers. Enjoy.




So here we are again in Conversion Corner, this article is going to show you how to convert some of your unused Corsair bowmen models into Reavers. Seeing as there is no model for these and the fact the bowmen are the most underused model in the faction it makes sense to at least use these to your advantage. I am going to show you the 4 different bowmen models and show you different ways to convert each one. Also a nice little trick even if you don't have any bits at all. Being pirates you can use all sorts of different styles of weapons so raid your unwanted/unused models and see what you can come up with.

Things you'll need:

The sculpting tools and tweezers aren't 100% necessary. A cocktail stick will do the job just as well.


Bowman 1


So here is the trick using the first one and probably the easiest. Firstly, cut the bow bits off the top and bottom...DON'T throw the cut off bits away.  Clean up the model's rough bits left from cutting and flatten off 1 of the off cuts at the bottom using a hobby knife or file. The other one should be left with a V shaped end.


A) Using Plastic cement glue the flat ended piece to the left hand of the model. You can create a less curved style sword by cutting at a different angle, but I liked the funky style of this one and thought it suited their pirate nature.

B) Again, using plastic cement glue the second one into the recess of the hand. You will notice it is much easier to place due to the v shape created by the clippers. 

And hey presto, one simple and easy Reaver using no extra parts or much hassle.

**You could if you wanted to create a more pointed shape on these "swords" before fitting them if you wished but for the purposes of this and who I wanted to target with this I didn't bother.

Bowman 2

The beauty of this bowman is he basically comes pre-prepped for you. Firstly, find a sword/axe or any sort of weapon you like that can be placed in the hand and a right hand and weapon off an old model or out of a bit box. I found here that a Morannon Orc axe hand was perfect and a serpent horde sword from the serpent rider kit fit perfectly. File down the hand to sit as flush as possibly with the rest of the arm. If you need to cut down the inside, you can as this will not be seen.

Simply glue or stick the hand with weapon and the weapon green stuff making a smooth transition using water and a tool or even a cocktail stick. and you are done.


Bowman 3

This one takes a little more finesse than the previous 2.  Initially you need to cut the bow off, but this is also attached to the leg so be as careful as possible and just clean up the leg as you would normally if you were cutting it from a sprue. The hand is a little trickier. Cut off the hand from the end of the fabric up to the hair and the feathers of the arrows. You essentially want to cut out the block like in the third picture. Don't worry too much about how smooth it is as this will not be seen.


Again, for this I used the same morannon axe hand as I did in the previous model.  I had to play around with my hobby knife for a little while to fiddle with the correct fit, but it didn't take long. I then used the green stuff to stick it in place and shape some more hair. You can again use plastic cement for this which is also great as it melts the plastic creating a smooth transition.


The left hand I used a random sword I had lying about and used the same method as the previous models. Like I said, these are pirates not soldiers, so I like the fact they have different weapons.

After an hour I revisited any excess green stuff I didn't like the look of and just cut it out. Another one done.

Bowman 4



Again, another tricky on but believe me when I say if I can do it you can too. Cutting off the bow...no change. The hand though was a little more difficult. In order to cut the hand, you must cut it flat along the model initially and then chop in at the wrist. I then dry fitted the hand I found in my bits box which after a little shaving on the model fit nicely. Here I have used an axe but I previously had a practice model using a Minas Tirith sword hand which also fit well. This will take a little time and shaving the flat part of your cut. Just be patient and don't expect it to fit perfectly. You always have green stuff to help make it look natural.

To attach the hand, I used plastic glue to melt the inside of the hand a little better to the model and then used a tiny amount of green stuff to finish it off. Again, after an hour I trimmed any excess off that I didn't like. The sword I attached in the same way as the others also adding a little pommel underneath.


And there you have it. 4 quick and easy Reavers from your unused models. Let us know what you think and if you have some of your own why not show us.  I'll try and get them painted up for another blog so you can see how they turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment