Saturday 18 January 2020

Drawn Combat Battle Companies Season 2

We are about to start a new Battle Companies campaign over here at Drawn Combat so we thought we would try to do some regular updates on the blog to keep us motivated and to record some of the more memorable moments. Here is a sneak preview of the Companies that will be doing battle:

Dan Slb: The Riders of RoDan (Rohan)

I chose Rohan because after doing Warg Riders last time I wanted a Company with some variety to the models! To make writing this blog super confusing I have decided to name the starting members of my Company after the 7 members of the Drawn Combat team. I'm not much of a role player so I think this will help me get more invested in the Company's future, as well as be hilarious when they do stupid things! I will try to choose hero paths to match the real life personalities of the Warrior's namesake, which I am sure will offend the person in question immediately! Maybe it will also encourage the other team members to go easy on their namesake, which may help me win games 😉 I have little painting time these days and I am currently trying to get a 500 point Army of Thror/Iron Hills alliance done for mid-February meaning my company may be unpainted for a while, however here is a picture of the members of the company and the conversions I have done to them!



Colm: The Shaggers (Gundabad)

I've chosen Gundabad for my battle company as I thought it would be a good excuse to expand a little bit on my Azogs Legion force and use something a bit fightier than my hobbit leader was in our last BC! It also gives me an excuse to paint up some ogres and convert a warbat (which are quite interesting options compared to the big standard troops some factions are stuck with). I'm looking forward to seeing how they get on! When I first heard that there was an Uruk called Shagrat I was very amused because I am an idiot. I decided to make this idiocy widely known by naming my leader Shagrat and his followers Shagrabbit, Shagdog, Shagman, and a whole host of immature things, hence the battle company’s name 😉



Dave: The Second Breakfast Club (Hobbits)

When we finished the last Battle Companies Campaign I knew I wanted something pretty different for my next one, and one that would give me an excuse to actually build a new Army.

I'd had my eyes on several, especially Dunland, and double-y so since the new models came out and the old metal ones became available from GW! But in the end I opted to go for The Shire, as I just can't deny my love for Hobbits! I'm expecting their low strength and fight value to be an issue, but hopefully my plan to give every hero model a dog will help even the odds!



Steve: The Gaudy Golden Wood Boys (Lothlorien)

Lothlorien was going to be my next army project so figured 'Why not?' and went with them for our next campaign. I've not had a huge opportunity to work with bright metals so the Galadhrim made an excellent choice in this regard. Like my Isenguard company before, each individual model is fairly pricey for the points, but with options like the Guards of the Galadhrim Court and a good amount of gear options for my heroes made this an interesting project to work on!



Dan Stu: LiverGhoul F.C. (Army of the Dead)

So the good folks models at GW decided to throw some ghosts in the Pelennor box as a free gift, along with my rulebook and Fell Beast. That was nice of them! I decided to flesh this out in to a Return of the King Legendary Legion (as Dave explains in his article), but with exciting painting projects getting in the way, the poor ghosties have been pushed to the bottom of the painting pile.   


But, thanks to some poor planning on my part, I’ve completely run out of time to paint up my intended Fiefdoms battle company – so now it’s the ghosts’ time to shine! Or…glow?
Dan suggested I should name the Spooky Boys United, so needless to say my entire day at work was taken up with thinking of ghost-themed football puns. A few hours later, Liverghoul F.C. has finally got me excited to paint up ghosts.
I’m expecting them to be a lot stronger than Easterlings, my last company – their worst roll on the reinforcements table costs 14pts, which is closer to a roll on the special table for most companies! This will hopefully help them recover from their slow start of only 4 models, as well as F3 across the board.
Meet Liverghoul F.C. – Scary Lineker, Alan Shrieker, Peter Grouch and Rio Frighten-yer-Nan (Artist’s Rendering)

Phil: Name TBC (Mordor)

Phil’s last battle company was Rivendell so this will be quite a change for him! Going from having very few elite choices to having loads of different warrior upgrades but most of them being low F, S and D! If the Mordor company on ZorpaZorp’s excellent channel is anything to go by then Phil May have his work cut out for him!



Adam: Name (Minas Tirith)

I've selected Minas Tirith as I've just recently picked the game back up again after 10 years, first owning the game with the Return of the King rule set. My models haven't survived from then so I looked for a faction which grabbed my attention, and immediately set on the Gondor range. Gondor has a good range of models to pick from to keep the army fresh, and this carries over nicely to Battle Companies. I'm looking forward to following along with these plucky heroes of men as they progress, becoming Knights or Rangers as they develop their skills.


So there are our 7 battle companies! We’ll keep you updated as we progress through the campaign, recruiting new members and upgrading our existing ones. Hopefully there will also be some amusing moments too!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to hearing more. Love the pun names.

    ReplyDelete